Berkowitz Counseling Services  - There is a solution!
PA Licensed Professional Counseling Supervision

I am currently accepting graduates and counselors who are looking for LPC Supervision in PA. For further information, please call 610-248-3600.


2014 Licensed Professional Counselor Requirements in PA

In order to earn an LPC license in Pennsylvania, students are required to meet the following criteria:

  • Completion of a total of 60 hours of accredited graduate coursework
  • Supervised work experience for 3600 hours under supervision post-masters degree (half of which must include supervision by an LPC)
  • A passing grade on the National Counseling Exam (NCE)

Master’s level counselors and therapists in multiple specialties are credentialed as Licensed Professional Counselors, or LPCs, by the Pennsylvania State Board of Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists, and Professional Counselors.

If you have any questions you can contact them by calling  (717) 783-1389 or emailing

LPC Education Requirements In PA

To become an LPC, you will need a qualifying master's degree in professional counseling or another closely related field ( Your degree should be granted by a regionally accredited school and include at least 60 semester hours of coursework. 

It is also acceptable to have a master's that is between 48 and 60 semester hours in length if you take additional graduate courses to complete the 60 semester hour minimum.

The State Board of Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists, and Professional Counselors considers the following to be closely related degrees:

    Art therapy
    Social work
    Drama therapy
    Dance/ movement therapy
    Counseling education
    Human services
    Child development and family studies

Examination Requirements

For LPC licensing purposes Pennsylvania accepts the National Counselor Examination (NCE) or Examination for Master Addictions Counselors (EMAC) -- administered by the National Board for Certified Counselors

The NCE is a general professional counseling exam that is used in many states for licensing purposes. It is also a viable option for dance/ movement therapists. You'll need to apply directly to the testing agency to take the test and you must make arrangements to have your testing results sent to the Pennsylvania board.

You will find an NCE registration form in your Pennsylvania license application packet. If you opt for the NCE, you will take a computerized test; sessions are scheduled Monday through Saturday, two weeks out of each month. As a candidate for Pennsylvania licensure, you will send a registration form to the NBCC along with an official transcript showing that you have a master's in counseling or a related field. You will also need to include a $185 fee (

In Pennsylvania, the NCE is given in Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Wyoming.

Supervised Practice

If your highest degree is a master's, you will be eligible for licensure when you have accrued three years, or 3,600 clinical hours, of experience.

You may only count hours that you accrued after completing at least 48 semester hours of graduate coursework.

If you have a doctoral degree, you will only need to work under supervision for 2,400 hours, or two years, to become eligible for licensing. You may count some hours that you completed prior to conferral of your doctorate. However, you must complete at least one year (or 1,200 hours) after receiving your degree.

As noted in the LPC application instructions, you may not count practicum or internship as part of your supervised experience.

At least half of your experience requirement must be met through the following direct client services:

  •     Counseling
  •     Assessment
  •     Therapy
  •     Psychotherapy
  •     Consultation
  •     Family therapy
  •     Group therapy
  •     Other therapeutic services

Your supervisor will be someone who has training and experience in the area(s) where you will be completing your supervised practice. S/he will make observations, discuss your strengths and weaknesses, and make recommendations for your continued professional growth. S/he will also make recommendations for licensing purposes.

You should meet with your delegated supervisor at least two hours for every 40 hours of supervised experience that you do.

You won't necessarily accrue all your experience in the same setting, but in order to count it, it will need to meet the following requirement:

  •  You must work 30 - 40 hours a week in the same setting for at least a three month period (or 15 or more hours a week in the same setting for at least a six month period).
  •  You may credit between 600 and 1,800 hours a year and meet your obligation over a period of two to six years.

The Application Process

You will find application materials on the board website. You may also request to have them mailed to you.

Your application file will include several supplemental documents:
  •     You will include a curricula vitae with your application.
  •     You will have your certifying agency send exam results to the Pennsylvania board.
  •     You will solicit two recommendations on official forms.
  •     You will also need verification of your supervised experience.
  •     You will include a $45.00 fee made out to "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania"

Application materials may be mailed to:

State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors
P.O. Box 2649
Harrisburg, PA 17105-2649